Assistant Professor of MIS
Ph.D., University of Maryland, College Park, 2010
Areas of Expertise
- Online crowdfunding
- Online labor markets
- Social media and social networks
MIS 478 Project Management
MIS 513 Business Foundations for IT
MIS 578 Project Management
MIS 578E Project Management
MIS 611C Economics of Information Systems
- Lin, M., Liu, Y. and Viswanathan, S. "Effectiveness of Reputation in Contracting for Customized Production: Evidence from Online Labor Markets." Management Science, forthcoming.
- Wei, Z. and Lin, M. "Market Mechanisms in Online Peer-to-Peer Lending." Management Science, forthcoming.
- Goes, P., Guo, C., and Lin, M. "Do Incentive Hierarchies Induce User Effort? Evidence from an Online Knowledge Exchange." Information Systems Research, forthcoming.
- Lin, M. and Viswanathan, S. "Home Bias in Online Investments: An Empirical Study of an Online Crowdfunding Market." Management Science. 62(5), pp. 1393-1414.
- Goes, P., Lin, M., & Au Yeng, C.-M. (2014). '“Popularity Effect” in User-Generated Contents: Evidence from Online Product Reviews." Information Systems Research. 25(2), pp. 222-238.
- Lin, M., Prabhala, N.R., & Viswanathan, S. (2013). "Judging Borrowers by the Company They Keep: Friendship Networks and Information Asymmetry in Online Peer-to-Peer Lending." Management Science. 59(1), pp. 17-35.
- Management Science Best Paper Award in Information Systems, 2015
- Lin, M., Lucas, H., Shmueli, G. (2013). "Too Big to Fail: Large Samples and the p-Value Problem." Information Systems Research. 24(4), pp. 906-917.
- University of Arizona Eller College Small Research Grant (2015, 2016)
- University of California Santa Cruz, Center for Analytical Finance, Small Research Grant (2015)
- Kauffman Foundation Grant to Study Women Entrepreneurs in Equity Crowdfunding (2015)
- McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship, Small Research Grant (2011)
- NET Institute Summer Research Grant, Net Institute, New York University Stern School of Business (2010, 2012)
- Kauffman Foundation Entrepreneurship Dissertation Fellowship Grant (2009)
- Economic Club of Washington Doctoral Fellowship Grant (2009)
- Research Grant on Social Value Creation, Smith School of Business, University of Maryland (2009)
Honors and Awards
- Kalt Prize for Doctoral Student Placement (2016)
- Management Science Best Paper Award in Information Systems (2015)
- Management Science Distinguished Service Award (2014, 2015)
- Wharton Customer Analytics Initiative, Research Proposal Competition (2015, 2015)
- Research Affiliate, University of California Santa Cruz, Center for Analytical Finance
- Fellow, Cambridge University Judge Business School
- Fellow, Cambridge Centre for Alternative Finance
- Nomination for Best Conference Paper Award, Conference on Information Systems and Technology (2012, 2014, 2015)
- Paine Award for Academic Excellence, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland (2010)
- Nominated for Best Conference Paper Award at the International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) (2009)
- Best Doctoral Student Paper Award, Conference on Information Systems and Technology (2009)
- Association for Information Systems
- American Economic Association