Assistant Professor of MIS
Ph.D., Purdue University, 2011
Areas of Expertise
- Information Security and Privacy
- Digital Piracy
- Experimental and Behavioral Economics
- Electronic Commerce
MIS 304 Using and Managing Information Systems
MIS 441 Information Systems Analysis and Design (past)
MIS 416 Information Security Risk Management (past)
- Hashim, M. J., Ram, S. & Tang, Z. (2018). Uncovering the Effects of Digital Movie Format Availability on Physical Movie Sales. Decision Support Systems (forthcoming).
- Buckman, J. R., Bockstedt, J. C., & Hashim, M. J. (2018). Relative Privacy Valuations under Varying Disclosure Characteristics. Information Systems Research (forthcoming).
- Hashim, M. J., Kannan, K. N., & Wegener, D. T. (2018). Central Role of Moral Obligations in Determining Intentions to Engage in Digital Piracy. Journal of Management Information Systems 35(3), pp. 934-963.
- Hashim, M. J., Kannan, K. N., & Maximiano, S. (2017). Information feedback, targeting, and coordination: An experimental study. Information Systems Research 28(2), pp. 289-308, Best Published Paper Runner-Up.
- Hashim, M. J., Kannan K. N., Maximiano S., & Rees Ulmer J. (2014). Digital piracy, teens, and the source of advice: An experimental study. Journal of Management Information Systems 31(2), pp. 215-248.
- "Security, Privacy, and Social Engineering Experiments," Sampoerna University, Jakarta, Indonesia, March 2, 2018.
- "Designing Better Password Strength Meters by Incorporating Contextual Information," with W. Khern-am-nuai, A. Pinsonneault, W. Yang, N. Li. Workshop on Information Technologies and Systems (WITS), Best Paper Nominee, Seoul, Korea, December 2017.
- "Social Engineering Experiments," with J.C. Bockstedt, L. Brandimarte, I. Kaufer, B. McDermott. Workshop on Experimental and Behavioral Economics in Information Systems (WEBEIS), Atlanta, GA, May 12, 2017.
- "Human Exploits in Cybersecurity: A Social Engineering Study," with J.C. Bockstedt, I. Kaufer, B. McDermott. Workshop on Information Security and Privacy (WISP), Dublin, Ireland, December 10, 2016.
- "Analyzing the Value of an Information Disclosure," with J. Buckman and J.C. Bockstedt. IFIP Dewald Roode Information Security Workshop, Newark, DE, October 2, 2015.
- "Overcoming Free-Riding in Information Goods: Sanctions or Rewards?" with J.C. Bockstedt. Workshop on Experimental and Behavioral Economics in Information Systems (WEBEIS), West Lafayette, IN, July 31, 2015.
- "Delivery of Movies via the Internet: Uncovering the Effects of the Availability of Digital Formats on Physical Sales," with Zhulei Tang and Sudha Ram, The 2nd Annual UA-Tsinghua E-Commerce Workshop, Tucson, AZ, May 13, 2013.
- "Collaboration, Interdependency, and Transfer Pricing," with Karthik Kannan, The 2012 Workshop on Information Systems and Economics (WISE), Orlando, FL, 2012.
- "Collaboration, Interdependency, and Transfer Pricing," with Karthik Kannan, The 2012 North American Economic Science Association (ESA) Conference, Tucson, AZ, 2012.
- "Information Targeting and Coordination: An Experimental Study," with Sandra Maximiano, and Karthik Kannan, The 2011 Workshop on Information Systems and Economics (WISE), Shanghai, China, 2011.
- "Digital Piracy, Teens, and the Role of Advice," with Sandra Maximiano, Karthik Kannan, and Jackie Rees, The 2011 North American Economic Science Association (ESA) Conference, Tucson, AZ, 2011.
- "Information Targeting and Coordination: An Experimental Study," with Sandra Maximiano, and Karthik Kannan, The 10th Workshop on the Economics of Information Security (WEIS), Fairfax, VA, 2011.
- Association for Information Systems (AIS)
- Economic Science Association (ESA)
Honors and Awards
- Best Published Paper Runner-Up, Information Systems Research 2017
- Dean’s Award for Undergraduate Teaching Excellence, 2017-2018
- Robert Lusch Engaging Course Award for MIS 304, 2017-2018
- Best Paper Nominee, Workshop on Information Systems and Technology (WITS) 2017
- Eller College Student’s Choice Award for Outstanding Faculty (Dean’s Council), 2017
- MIS Faculty Member of the Year (MIS Association), 2017
- Dean’s Award for Undergraduate Teaching Excellence, 2015-2016
- Eller Undergraduate Faculty Member of the Year (Large Class), 2015-2016
- Purdue Research Foundation Dissertation Grant, University-wide competition, 2010-2011
- Graduate Teaching Certificate, Purdue Center for Instructional Excellence
- Krannert Certificate for Distinguished Teaching, Purdue University, Fall 2009