Assistant Professor of Management Information Systems
Ph.D. in EECS, University of California, Berkeley
M.A. in Statistics, University of California, Berkeley
Areas of Expertise
- Statistical machine learning
- Large-scale network analysis
- Nonparametric and high-dimensional statistical inference
- Computational biology, statistical genetics
MIS 301 Data Structures and Algorithms
MIS 596A Statistical Foundations of Machine Learning
Refereed Journal Publications
- Q. Ho*, J. Yin* and E. P. Xing (*joint first authors). Latent space inference of Internet-scale networks. Journal of Machine Learning Research, 17(78):1−41, 2016.
- M. Marchetti-Bowick, J. Yin, J. A. Howrylak, and E. P. Xing. A time-varying group sparse additive model for genome-wide association studies of dynamic complex traits. Bioinformatics, Vol. 32, Iss. 19, 2903−2910, 2016.
- L. Zhu, D. Guo, J. Yin, G. Ver Steeg, and A. Galstyan. Scalable temporal latent space inference for link prediction in dynamic social networks. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 28, Iss. 10, 2765−2777, 2016.
- J. Yin. Hypothesis testing of meiotic recombination rates from population genetic data. BMC Genetics, 15:122, 2014.
- E. P. Xing, R. Curtis, G. Schoenherr, S. Lee, J. Yin, K. Puniyani, W. Wu, and P. Kinnaird. GWAS in a Box: statistical and visual analytics of structured associations via GenAMap. PLOS ONE, 2014.
- J. Yin, M. I. Jordan, and Y. S. Song. Joint estimation of gene conversion rates and mean conversion tract lengths from population SNP data. Bioinformatics, Vol. 25, Iss. 12, i231-i239, 2009.
- J. Yin, N. Beerenwinkel, J. Rahnenfuhrer, and T. Lengauer. Model selection for mixtures of mutagenetic trees. Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology, Vol. 5, Iss. 1, Article 17, 2006.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- J. Yin, Q. Ho and E. P. Xing. A scalable approach to probabilistic latent space inference of large-scale networks. Advances in Neural Information Processing (NIPS), 2013.
- Q. Ho, J. Yin and E. P. Xing. On triangular versus edge representations | Towards scalable modeling of networks. Advances in Neural Information Processing (NIPS), 2012.
- J. Yin, X. Chen and E. P. Xing. Group sparse additive models. International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), 2012.
- R. Curtis, J. Yin, P. Kinnaird and E. P. Xing. Finding genome-transcriptome-phenome association with structured association mapping and visualization in GenAMap. Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing (PSB), 2012.
Awards and Honors
- Center for Management Innovations in Health Care (CMIHC) Research Grant
- Ray and Stephanie Lane Post-doctoral Fellowship
- Honors Master's Degree of IMPRS-CS
- Max-Planck Society (IMPRS-CS) Scholarship