Areas of Expertise
- Cyber security
- Deception and fraud detection
- Human-computer interaction
- Technology-mediated group decision-making
- Electronic commerce
Joseph (Joe) S. Valacich is the Eller Professor of MIS within the Eller College of Management at the University of Arizona, a Fellow of the Association for Information Systems (2009), and is a co-founder, Chairman, and Chief Science Officer (CSO) of Neuro-ID, Inc. His primary research interests include deception detection, human-computer interaction, data visualization, cyber security, and e-business. Dr. Valacich is a prolific scholar, publishing more than 200 scholarly articles in numerous prestigious journals and conferences, including: Academy of Management Journal, Communications of the ACM, Decision Sciences, Information Systems Research, Journal of Applied Psychology, Journal of the AIS, Journal of MIS, MIS Quarterly, Management Science, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, and many others. His scholarly work has had a tremendous impact not only on the IS field, but also on a number of other disciplines, including computer science, cognitive and social psychology, marketing, and management. In October 2018, Google Scholar lists his citation counts at more than 23,400, with an H-index of 71. He was the general conference co-chair for the 2003 International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) and the 2012 Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS); both were held in Seattle. He is the Honorary Chair for ICIS 2021 to be held in Austin, Texas.
- Benjamin, V., Valacich, J.S., & Chen, H. (in press). DICE-E: A Framework for Conducting Darknet Identification, Collection, Evaluation, with Ethics. MIS Quarterly.
- Jenkins, J.L., Proudfoot, J.G., Valacich, J.S., & Nunamaker, Jr., J.F. (in press). Sleight of hand: Identifying malicious insider threats through the monitoring of mouse-cursor movements. Journal for the Association for Information Systems.
- Valacich, J.S., Wang, X., & Jessup, L.M. (2018). Did I Buy the Wrong Gadget? How Easy and Difficult to Evaluate Technology Features Influence Product Choice. MIS Quarterly, 42:2, 633-644.
- Hibbeln, M., Jenkins, J., Schneider, C., Valacich. J., & Weinmann, M. (2017). How is Your User Feeling? Inferring Emotion Through Human-Computer Interaction Devices. MIS Quarterly, 41, 1-21.
- Chatterjee, S., Valacich, J.S., & Sarker, Suprateek (2015). Unethical Use of Information Technology: A Two-Country Study. Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 31(4), 49-87.
- George, J.F., Carlson, J., & Valacich, J.S. (2013). Media Selection as a Strategic Component of Deceptive Communication. MIS Quarterly, 37(4), 1233-1251.
- Campbell, D.E., Wells, J.D., & Valacich, J.S. (2013). Breaking the Ice in B2C Relationships: Understanding Initial Perceptions of Websites with the eCommerce Attraction Model. Information Systems Research, 24(2), 219-238.
- Wells, J.D., Valacich, J.S., & Hess, T. (2011). What Signal are you Sending? How Consumer-Facing Technology Influences Perceptions of Quality. MIS Quarterly, 35(2), 373-397.
- Wells, J.D., Parboteeah, D., & Valacich, J.S. (2011). Online Impulse Buying: Understanding the Interplay Between Consumer Impulsiveness and Website Quality. Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 12(1), 32-56.
- Sarker, S. & Valacich, J.S. (2010). An Alternative to Methodological Individualism: A Microfoundational Approach to Studying Technology Adoption by Groups. MIS Quarterly, 34(4), 779-808.
- Jung, J.H., Schneider, C., & Valacich, J.S. (2010). Enhancing the Motivational Affordance of Group Collaboration Environments: The Effects of Real-Time Performance Feedback and Goal Setting. Management Science, 56(4), 724-742.
- Parboteeah, D.V., Valacich, J.S., & Wells, J.D. (2009) The Influence of Website Characteristics on a Consumer’s Urge to Buy Impulsively. Information Systems Research, 20, 60-78.
- Sidorova, A., Evangelopoulos, N., Valacich, J.S., & Ramakrishnan, T. (2008). Uncovering the Intellectual Core of the Information Systems Discipline. MIS Quarterly, 32(3), 467-482.
- Dennis, A.R., Fuller, R.M., & Valacich, J.S. (2008). Media, Tasks, and Communication Processes: A Theory of Media Synchronicity. MIS Quarterly, 32(3), 475-500.
- The Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Association for Information Systems (AIS) (founding member)
Honors and Awards
- 2018, CIONET European Research Paper of the Year. CIONET. http://www.cionet.com/erpoty/.
- 2018, Ranked as an MIS Quarterly prolific scholar over its entire history (1977-2018).
- 2016, Innovation and Impact Award for Information Technology, University of Arizona, Tech Launch Arizona
- 2013, Best Business Developed Serious Game; and Best Adaptive Force Award (selected by the Office of the Secretary of Defense). Serious Games Showcase & Challenge (SGS&C) at the Interservice / Industry Training, Simulation and Education Conference (I/ITSEC).
- 2013, Distinguished Educator in Information Systems, Association of Information Technology Professionals (AITP).
- 2012, Distinguished Alumni Award, The University of Montana Alumni Association.
- 2009, AIS Fellow, Association for Information Systems, awarded at ICIS 2009.