Eller Professor of MIS
Ph.D., University of Arizona, 1989
MBA, University of Montana, 1983
BS in Computer Science, University of Montana, 1982
Areas of Expertise
- Cyber security
- Deception and fraud detection
- Human-computer interaction
- Technology-mediated group decision-making
- Electronic commerce
MIS 541 Information Systems Analysis and Design
MIS 585 Strategic Management of Information Systems
- Hibbein, M., Jenkins, J.L., Schneider, C., Valacich. J.S., & Weinmann, M. (in press). How is Your User Feeling? Inferring Emotion Through Human-Computer Interaction Devices. MIS Quarterly.
- Chatterjee, S., Valacich, J.S., & Sarker, Suprateek (2015). Unethical Use of Information Technology: A Two-Country Study. Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 31(4), 49-87.
- George, J.F., Carlson, J., & Valacich, J.S. (2013). Media Selection as a Strategic Component of Deceptive Communication. MIS Quarterly, 37(4), 1233-1251.
- Campbell, D.E., Wells, J.D., & Valacich, J.S. (2013). Breaking the Ice in B2C Relationships: Understanding Initial Perceptions of Websites with the eCommerce Attraction Model. Information Systems Research, 24(2), 219-238.
- Wells, J.D., Valacich, J.S., & Hess, T. (2011). What Signal are you Sending? How Consumer-Facing Technology Influences Perceptions of Quality. MIS Quarterly, 35(2), 373-397.
- Sarker, S. & Valacich, J.S. (2010). An Alternative to Methodological Individualism: A Microfoundational Approach to Studying Technology Adoption by Groups. MIS Quarterly, 34(4), 779-808.
- Jung, J.H., Schneider, C., & Valacich, J.S. (2010). Enhancing the Motivational Affordance of Group Collaboration Environments: The Effects of Real-Time Performance Feedback and Goal Setting. Management Science, 56(4), 724-742.
- Parboteeah, D.V., Valacich, J.S., & Wells, J.D. (2009) The Influence of Website Characteristics on a Consumer’s Urge to Buy Impulsively. Information Systems Research, 20, 60-78.
- Sidorova, A., Evangelopoulos, N., Valacich, J.S., & Ramakrishnan, T. (2008). Uncovering the Intellectual Core of the Information Systems Discipline. MIS Quarterly, 32(3), 467-482.
- Dennis, A.R., Fuller, R.M., & Valacich, J.S. (2008). Media, Tasks, and Communication Processes: A Theory of Media Synchronicity. MIS Quarterly, 32(3), 475-500.
- Valacich, J.S., Parboteeah, D.V., & Wells, J.D. (2007). Not All Interface Characteristics are Created Equal: The Online Consumer’s Hierarchy of Needs. Communications of the ACM, 50(9), 84-90.
- The Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Association for Information Systems (AIS) (founding member)
Honors and Awards
- 2017, Ranked as an MIS Quarterly prolific scholar over its entire history (1977-2016).
- 2016, Innovation and Impact Award for Information Technology, University of Arizona, Tech Launch Arizona
- 2013, Best Business Developed Serious Game; and Best Adaptive Force Award (selected by the Office of the Secretary of Defense). Serious Games Showcase & Challenge (SGS&C) at the Interservice / Industry Training, Simulation and Education Conference (I/ITSEC).
- 2013, Distinguished Educator in Information Systems, Association of Information Technology Professionals (AITP).
- 2012, Distinguished Alumni Award, The University of Montana Alumni Association.
- 2009, AIS Fellow, Association for Information Systems, awarded at ICIS 2009.