UA Regents' Professor of MIS
Thomas R. Brown Chair in Management and Technology
Director, Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
Ph.D., Information Systems, New York University, 1989
Areas of Expertise
- Knowledge management and business intelligence
- Digital library and search engines
- Data mining, text mining, and web mining
- Medical informatics and security informatics
MIS 480/580 Knowledge Management
MIS 510 Data and Web Mining
MIS 596A Biomedical and Security Informatics
- Lin, Y., Chen, H., Brown, R., Li, S., & Yang, H. (2014). Time-to-event predictive modeling for chronic conditions using electronic heal records. IEEE Intelligent Systems, 29(3), 14-21.
- Leroy, G., Chen, H., & Rindflesch, T. (2014) Smart and connected health. IEEE Intelligent Systems, 29(3), 2-5.
- Campbell, J. L., Chen, H., Dhaliwal, D. S., Lu, H., & B. Steele, L. (2013). The information content of mandatory risk factor disclosures in corporate filings. Review of Accounting Studies, 19(1), 396-455,
- Chen, H., Roco, M., & Son, J. (2013). Nanotechnology public funding and impact analysis: A tale of two decades (1991-2010). IEEE Nanotechnology, 7(1), 9-14.
- Dang, Y., Zhang, Y., Chen, H., Brown, S., Hu, P. J., & Nunamaker, J. F. (2012). Theory-informed design and evaluation of an advanced search and knowledge mapping system in nanotechnology. Journal of Management Information Systems, 28(4).
- Chen, H., Chiang, R., & Storey, V. (2012). Business intelligence and analytics: From big data to big impact. MIS Quarterly, 36(4), 1165-1188.
- Lu, H. M., Tsai, T. T., Chen, H., Hung, M. W., & Li, S. H. (2012). Credit rating change modeling using news and financial ratios. ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems, 3(1), 14:1-14:30.
- Fu, T., Abbasi, A., Zeng, D., & Chen, H. (2012). Sentimental spidering: Leveraging opinion information in focused crawlers. ACM Transactions on Information Systems, 30(4).
- Chen, Y., Brown, S., Hu, P. J., & Chen, H. (2012). Managing emerging infectious diseases with information systems: Reconceptualizing outbreak management through the lens of loose coupling. Information Systems Research, 22(3), 447-468.
- Chen, H. (2011). Smart health and wellbeing. IEEE Intelligent Systems, 26(5), 78-79.
- Dr. Hsinchun Chen has received over 25 million dollars in research funding from the National Science Foundation, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Department of Justice, Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, SAP, New Mexico Tech, and Library of Congress, among others.
Journal Associate Boards
- Dr. Hsinchun Chen is Editor-in-Chief of ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems, Editor-in-Chief of Springer Security Informatics journal, and Associate Editor-in-Chief of IEEE Intelligent Systems. He has served on the following editorial boards: ACM Transactions on Information Systems; IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics; Decision Support Systems; Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology; International Journal of Digital Libraries; International Journal of Electronic Business; Journal of Information Technology and Politics; Encyclopedia of Library and Information Sciences.
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Sciences (AAAS)
Awards and Honors
- Fellow, IEEE, and AAAS
- Thomas R. Brown Chair Professor of Technology and Management, University of Arizona, February 2013-present
- University of Arizona Innovator of the Year, 2013
- Arizona Centennial Top 100 Scientists, 2012
- Distinguished Professor, China Thousand-Talent Program, in affiliation with TsingHua University Computer Science Department, October 2012-present
- IEEE Research Achievement and Leadership Award in Intelligence and Security Informatics, 2011
- Finalist, AZ Tech Council’s Governor’s Innovation of the Year Award, 2011
- MIS Quarterly Best Paper, 2010
- INFORMS Design Science Award, 2008
- Distinguished Visiting Chair Professor, National Taiwan University, 2008
- IEEE Computer Society Technical Achievement Award, 2006
- National Chiao-Tung University, Taiwan Distinguished Alumnus Award, 2005
- The University of Arizona Technology Innovation Award, 2004
- Andersen Consulting Professor of the Year Award, 1999
- SAP University Alliance Grant Award in Research/Applications, 1998
- AT&T Foundation Award in Science and Engineering, 1994, 1995
- NSF Research Initiation Award, Directorate for Computer and Information Sciences and Engineering, 1992