UA Regents' Professor of MIS
Thomas R. Brown Chair in Management and Technology
Director, Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
Director, AZSecure Cybersecurity Fellowship Program
Ph.D., Information Systems, New York University, 1989
Areas of Expertise
- Cybersecurity and cyber threat intelligence
- Health analytics and mobile health
- Knowledge management and business intelligence
- Data mining, text mining, and web mining
- Health informatics and security informatics
- Digital library and search engines
MIS 496A Business Intelligence: Web and Social Media Analytics
MIS 611D Topics in Data and Web Mining
- V. Benjamin, B. Zhang, J. F. Nunamaker, and H. Chen, “Examining Hacker Participation Length in Cybercriminal Internet-Relay-Chat Communities,” Journal of Management Information Systems, Volume 33, Number 2, Pages 482-510, 2016.
- W. Li, H. Chen, and, J. F. Nunamaker, “Identifying and Profiling Key Sellers in Cyber Carding Community: AZSecure Text Mining System,” Journal of Management Information Systems, Volume 33, Number 2, Pages 1059-1086, 2016.
- Y. Lin, H. Chen, R. Brown, and S. Li, “Healthcare Predictive Analytics for Risk Profiling in Chronic Care: A Bayesian Multi-Task Learning Approach,” MIS Quarterly, Volume 41, Number 2, Pages 473-495, June 2017.
- X. Liu and H. Chen, “A Research Framework for Pharmacovigilance in Health Social Media: Identification and Evaluation of Patient Adverse Drug Event Reports,” Journal of Biomedical Informatics, Volume 58, Pages 268-279, 2015.
- S. Jiang and H. Chen, “NATERGM: A Model for Examining the Role of Nodal Attributes in Dynamic Social Media Networks,” IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Volume 28, Number 3, Pages 729-740, 2016.
- Q. Li, Y. Chen, L. L. Jiang, P. Li, and H. Chen, “A Tensor-based Information Framework for Predicting the Stock Market,” ACM Transactions on Information Systems, Volume 34, Number 2, Pages 1-31, 2016.
- D. Zimbra, H. Chen, and R. F. Lusch, “Stakeholder Analyses of Firm-Related Web Forums: Applications in Stock Return Prediction,” ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems, Volume 6, Number 1, Pages 2:1-2:38, 2015.
- X. Liu and H. Chen, “Identifying Adverse Drug Events from Patient Social Media: A Case Study of Diabetes,” IEEE Intelligent Systems, Volume 30, Number 3, Pages 44-51, 2015.
- A. Abbasi, F. Zahedi, D. Zeng, Y. Chen, H. Chen, and J. F. Nunamaker, “Enhancing Predictive Analytics for Anti-Phishing by Exploiting Website Genre Information,” Journal of Management Information Systems, Volume 31, Number 4, Pages 109-157, 2015.
- S. Jiang, Q. Gao, and H. Chen, “The Roles of Sharing, Transfer, and Public Funding in Nanotechnology Knowledge Diffusion Networks,” Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, Volume 66, Number 6, Pages 1017-1029, 2015.
- H. Chen, “Exploring and Mining the Dark Side of the Web: The Dark Web Project,” Springer, 2012.
- Dr. Hsinchun Chen has received over 40 million dollars in research funding from the National Science Foundation, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Department of Justice, Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, SAP, New Mexico Tech, and Library of Congress, among others.
Journal Associate Boards
- Dr. Hsinchun Chen is founding Editor-in-Chief of ACM Transactions Management Information Systems, Editor-in-Chief of Springer Security Informatics journal, and Senior Editor of MIS Quarterly. He has served on the following editorial boards: ACM Transactions on Information Systems; IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics; Decision Support Systems; Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology; International Journal of Digital Libraries; International Journal of Electronic Business; Journal of Information Technology and Politics; Encyclopedia of Library and Information Sciences.
- Fellow, Association of Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Sciences (AAAS)
Awards and Honors
- Fellow: IEEE, AAAS, and ACM
- Lead Program Director, NSF, Smart and Connected Health, 2014-2015
- Thomas R. Brown Chair Professor of Technology and Management, University of Arizona, February 2013-present
- University of Arizona Innovator of the Year, 2013
- Arizona Centennial Top 100 Scientists, 2012
- Distinguished Professor, China Thousand-Talent Program, in affiliation with TsingHua University Computer Science Department, October 2012-present
- IEEE Research Achievement and Leadership Award in Intelligence and Security Informatics, 2011
- Finalist, AZ Tech Council’s Governor’s Innovation of the Year Award, 2011
- MIS Quarterly Best Paper, 2010
- INFORMS Design Science Award, 2008
- Distinguished Visiting Chair Professor, National Taiwan University, 2008
- IEEE Computer Society Technical Achievement Award, 2006
- National Chiao-Tung University, Taiwan Distinguished Alumnus Award, 2005
- The University of Arizona Technology Innovation Award, 2004
- Andersen Consulting Professor of the Year Award, 1999
- SAP University Alliance Grant Award in Research/Applications, 1998
- AT&T Foundation Award in Science and Engineering, 1994, 1995
- NSF Research Initiation Award, Directorate for Computer and Information Sciences and Engineering, 1992