Eller Fellow and Associate Professor of MIS
Ph.D., The University of Arizona, 2003
Areas of Expertise
- Natural Language Processing, Text Mining and Text Analytics.
- Search Engines, Information Retrieval/Extraction and Understanding by Consumers
- Medical and Biomedical Informatics
- Human Computer Interaction and User Studies
MIS 545 Data Mining for Business Intelligence
- Pentoney, C., Harwell, J., & Leroy, G. (2014) “Does Query Expansion Limit Our Learning? A Comparison of Social-Based Expansion to Content-Based Expansion for Medical Queries on the Internet. Forthcoming, 2014 AMIA Annual Symposium, Washington DC, 15-19, November.
- Leroy, G., Kurzius-Spencer M., & Pettygrove, S. (2014). Using Natural Language Processing for Autism Trigger Extraction", 2014 AMIA Annual Symposium, Washington DC, 15-19, November.
- Alsudais, A., Leroy, G., & Corso, A. (2014). We know where you are tweeting from: Assigning a type of place to tweets using natural language processing and random forests. IEEE Proceedings of the 3rd International Congress on Big Data, Anchorage, Alaska, Jun 27 - July2.
- Leroy, G., & Kauchak, D. (2014). The effect of word familiarity on actual and perceived text difficulty. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (JAMIA), 21:e169-e172 doi:10.1136/amiajnl-2013-002172.
- Harwell, J., Pentoney, C., & Leroy, G. (2014). Big data for query expansion: A comparison of content-based versus social-based keywords. 2014 Winter Conference on Business Intelligence, February 27 – March 1, Snowbird, Utah.
- Kauchak, D., Mouradi, O., Pentoney, C., & Leroy, G. (2014). Text simplification tools: Using machine learning to discover features that identify difficult text. 47th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), Waikaloa, Big Island, Hawaii, January 6-9.
- Kwak, M., Leroy, G., Martinez, J.D., & Harwell, J. (2013). Development and evaluation of a biomedical search engine using a predicate-based vector space model. Journal of Biomedical Informatics (JBI), 46(5), 929-39.
- Leroy, G., Endicott, J.E., Kauchak, D., Mouradi, O., & Just, M. (2013). User evaluation of the effects of a text simplification algorithm using term familiarity on perception, understanding, learning and information retention. Journal of Medical Internet Research (JMIR), 15(7):e144.
- Leroy, G., Kauchak D., & Mouradi, O. (2013). A user-study measuring the effects of lexical simplification and coherence enhancement on perceived and actual text difficulty. International Journal of Medical Informatics, 82(8), 717-730.
- Ku, C.-H., & Leroy, G. (2013). Automated crime report analysis and classification for e-Government and decision support. 14th Annual International Conference on Digital Government Research (DG.O 2013), Quebec, Canada, 17-20 June.
Invited Talks and Presentations
- "Evidence-based Reduction of Perceived and Actual Text Difficulty Using Natural Language Processing," Southern California Workshop on Clinical Text Analysis and Visualization, University of California San Diego (UCSD), January 30, 2013.
- "Designing User Studies," Doctoral Consortium, Seventh International Conference on Design Science Research in Information Systems and Technology (DESRIST), Las Vegas, May 14-15, 2012.
- "Transdisciplinary Solutions to Communication Problems in Healthcare and Biomedicine," at the MIS Seminar Series, University of Arizona, May 11, 2012.
- A Triple-based Biomedical Search Engine," at the Pomona College Computer Science Colloquium, March 8, 2012.
- "Using a Predicate-based Biomedical Search Engine for Going Beyond Keyword-based Search," at the Lunch and Learn Seminar, Zynx Health, February 29, 2012.
- "Toward the Next Generation Biomedical Search Engine," at the Current Trends in Biomedical Informatics Seminar, Biomedical Informatics, University of California at San Diego, February 20, 2012.
- Association for Information Systems
- President-Elect, Special Interest Group on Health (AIS SIG-Health) of the Association for Information System (AIS) (2012-present).
Awards and Honors
- IEEE Senior Member