Assistant Professor of MIS
Visiting Research Fellow, Carnegie Mellon University
Ph.D., Carnegie Mellon University, 2012
Areas of Expertise
- Large social network analysis
- Statistical modeling for social network problems
- Social media, technology diffusion and business analytics
MIS 331 Database Management Systems
- Benjamin, V., Zhang, B., Chen, H., and Nunamaker, J. (2016) Examining Hacker Participation Length within Cybercriminal IRC Communities. Journal of Management Information Systems (JMIS), forthcoming.
- Zhang, B., Thomas, A. C., Krackhardt, D., Doreian, P., and Krishnan, R. (2013) Contrasting Multiple Social Network Autocorrelations for Binary Outcomes, with Applications to Technology Adoption. ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems (TMIS).
Paper Under Review
- Zhang, B., Pavlou, P., Krishnan, R., and Krackhardt, D. Comparing Peer Influences in Large Social Networks – An Empirical Study on Caller Ringback Tone. R&R at Information Systems Research (ISR).
- Um, S., Yoo, Y., Wattal, S., Zhang, B., and Kulathinal R. The Architecture of Generativity of an Open Digital Ecosystems: A Network Biology Perspective. R&R at Management Science.
- Zhao, K., Zhang, B., and Bai, X. Estimating External Motivating Factors in Virtual Inter-organizational Communities of Practice: Peer Effects and Organizational Influences. Under review at ISR.
Refereed Conferences & Proceedings
- Zhao, K., Zhang, B., and Bai, X. (Forthcoming) Who Motivates My Participation in Virtual Interorganizational Communities of Practice: Self, Peers, or the Firm ? In Proceedings of 2016 International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Dublin, Ireland.
- Guo, C., Zhang, B., Chen, X., and Goes, P. (Forthcoming) Reviving Order Online? The Effect of Purchase Features in Social Media Mobile Apps. In Conference on Information Systems and Technology (CIST) 2016, Nashville, TN.
- Geng, R., Zhang, B., and Han, S. (2015) Economics of "Tipping" Button in Social Media: An Empirical Analysis of Content Monetization. In 26th Workshop on Information Systems and Economics (WISE 2015), Dallas, TX.
- Guo, C., Zhang, B., Chen, X., and Goes, P. (2015) Reviving Order Online? The Effect of Purchase Features in Social Media Mobile Apps. In WISE 2015, Dallas, TX.
- Zhang, B., Liu, X., Susarla, A., Padman, R., and Chen, H. (2015) Improving YouTube Self-care Video Search: A Deep Learning Approach for Medical Knowledge Extraction. In 25th Workshop on Information Technologies and Systems (WITS 2015), Dallas, TX.
- Zhang, B., Geng, R., and Chen, X. Social Networks in Online Games: The Impact of Peer Influences on Repeat Purchase. In WITS 2015, Dallas, TX.
- Geng, R., Zhang, B., and Chen, X. (2015) Modeling Multiple Peer Influences on Repeat Purchase by Online Game Players. In CIST 2015, Philadelphia, PA.
- Zhang, Z., Yoo, Y., Wattal, S., Zhang, B., and Kulanthinal, R. (2014) Generative Diffusion of Innovations and Knowledge Networks in Open Source Projects. In Proceedings of ICIS 2014, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Zhang, B., Pavlou, P., Krishnan, R., and Krackhardt, D. (2013) Comparing Peer Influences in Large Social Networks – An Empirical Study on CRBT. In Proceedings of ICIS 2013, Milan, Italy.
- Um, S., Yoo, Y., and Wattal, S., Kulanthinal, R., and Zhang, B. (2013) The Architecture of Generativity in a Digital Ecosystem: A Network Biology Perspective. In Proceedings of ICIS 2013, Milan, Italy.
- Zhang, B., Pavlou, P., Krishnan, R., and Krackhardt, D. (2013) An Empirical Investigation of Contagion on CRBT Adoption. In CIST 2013, Minneapolis, MN. (Nominated for best paper award)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
Co-PI, The Structure and Dynamics of Generative Innovations: An Organizational Genetics Approach, $237,076
Co-Investigator, VOSS-Collaborative Research: Evolution in Virtualized Design Processes in Project-Based Design Organizations, $214,590
- National Institues of Health (NIH)
Co-Investigator, Understanding E-Cigarette Adoption and Marketing: A Social Media Study, $586,346
- Center of Leadership Ethics, University of Arizona
Co-PI, Identifying Cues to Deception During Job Interviews Using Motion Analysis
- Center for Management Innovations in Health Care (CMIHC), University of Arizona
PI, Boosting Patient Knowledge: the Impact of Healthcare Video Intelligent Search on Diabetic Patient Self-care, $5,000.
- Institute for Business and Information Technology, Temple University
PI, Analyzing Big Intraorgnizational Network Data, $10,000.
- Nominee, Small Class Faculty of the Year, Eller College of Management, University of Arizona, 2015.
- Teaching award, Eller College Student Council, University of Arizona, 2015.
- Fellow, ICIS 2012 Junior Faculty Consortium, December 2012, Orlando, FL.
- Nominee for Association of Information Systems (AIS) Best Dissertation Competition, Carnegie Mellon University, 2012.
- Fellow, ICIS 2011 Doctoral Consortium, December 2011, Shanghai, China.