Associate Professor, MIS
- Ph.D., University of Arizona, 2003
- MIS 545 Data Mining for Business Intelligence
- Natural Language Processing, Text Mining and Text Analytics.
- Search Engines, Information Retrieval/Extraction and Understanding by Consumers
- Medical and Biomedical Informatics
- Human Computer Interaction and User Studies
Invited Talks and Presentations
- "Evidence-based Reduction of Perceived and Actual Text Difficulty Using Natural Language Processing," Southern California Workshop on Clinical Text Analysis and Visualization, University of California San Diego (UCSD), January 30, 2013.
- "Designing User Studies," Doctoral Consortium, Seventh International Conference on Design Science Research in Information Systems and Technology (DESRIST), Las Vegas, May 14-15, 2012.
- "Transdisciplinary Solutions to Communication Problems in Healthcare and Biomedicine," at the MIS Seminar Series, University of Arizona, May 11, 2012.
- A Triple-based Biomedical Search Engine," at the Pomona College Computer Science Colloquium, March 8, 2012.
- "Using a Predicate-based Biomedical Search Engine for Going Beyond Keyword-based Search," at the Lunch and Learn Seminar, Zynx Health, February 29, 2012.
- "Toward the Next Generation Biomedical Search Engine," at the Current Trends in Biomedical Informatics Seminar, Biomedical Informatics, University of California at San Diego, February 20, 2012.
- G. Leroy, Designing User Studies in Informatics, Springer, 2011, ISBN: ISBN 978-0-85729-621-4.
- G. Leroy, D. Kauchak, and O. Mouradi, "A User-study Measuring the Effects of Lexical Simplification and Coherence Enhancement on Perceived and Actual Text Difficulty", International Journal of Medical Informatics, Forthcoming 2013.
- M. Kwak, G. Leroy and M. Kim, "Development and Evaluation of a Triple Parser to Enable Visual Searching with a Biomedical Search Engine", International Journal of Biomedical Engineering and Technology (IJBET), Vol. 10, No 4, 351-367, 2012..
- O. Mouradi, G. Leroy, D. Kauchak and J.E. Endicott, "Influence of Text and Participant Characteristics on Perceived and Actual Text Difficulty, Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS-40), January 2013.
- G. Leroy, J.E. Endicott, O. Mouradi, D. Kauchak, and M. Just, "Improving Perceived and Actual Text Difficulty for Health Information Consumers using Semi-Automated Methods", American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) Fall Symposium, Chicago, IL, November 3-7, 2012.
- C-H. Ku, J. H. Nguyen & G. Leroy, "TASC - Crime Report Visualization for Investigative Analysis: A Case Study," IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration 2012 (IEEE IRI 2012), Forthcoming, LAs Vegas, August 8-10, 2012.
- G. Leroy and J.E. Endicott, "Combining NLP with Evidence-based Methods to Find Text Metrics related to Perceived and Actual Text Difficulty," 2nd ACM SIGHIT International Health Informatics Symposium (ACM IHI 2012), Florida, Miami, January 28-30, 2012.
- Association for Information Systems
- Presidentt, Special Interest Group on Health (AIS SIG-Health) of the Association for Information System (AIS) (2012-present).
Awards and Honors